Thursday, January 10, 2013

From Seinfeld to Sushi: How to Master Your Domain


 By: Jeff Weiner CEO at Linkedin

I recently read a great profile in the New York Times about Jerry Seinfeld written by Jonah Weiner (no relation). In addition to providing a view into the life of one of the most successful stand-up comedians of the modern era, the article focuses on the method behind Seinfeld's observational comic genius, and specifically, the painstaking process he applies to developing a joke.
I always find it valuable when people at the top of their profession provide insight into how they do what they do, but as a long time fan of the comedian and the show (in my opinion, Seinfeld stands alone as the best sitcom of all time), I found this to be a particularly engrossing read.

I was also struck by the number of similarities between Seinfeld's approach to his craft and that of Jiro Ono, the 86-year old master sushi chef and subject of the highly acclaimed documentary "Jiro Dreams of Sushi." I strongly recommend the film to anyone interested in watching the pursuit of excellence personified.

Here are my observations regarding five shared practices from two wholly unrelated masters of their domains:

1. Never stop practicing (there is no perfect)

No comments:

Post a Comment